Flowers – In Memory of Mary Ann Shaw, Presented by James Shaw
Organ Prelude: Air from Overture in D, J. S. Bach
Call to Worship BOW 449
L: Trust in the Lord and do good.
P: May the Lord give strength to the people!
L: O taste and see that the Lord is good!
P: God is our refuge and strength.
Opening Prayer BOW 466 Sandy Stump
God our Mother and Father, we come to you as children. Be with us as we learn to see one another with new eyes, hear one another with new hearts, and treat one another in a new way. Amen.
O God of Shalom, we have built up walls to protect ourselves from our enemies, but these walls also shut us off from receiving your love. Break down those walls. Help us to see that the way to your heart is through the reconciliation of our own hearts with our enemies. Bless them and us, that we may come to grow in love for each other and for you; through Jesus Christ. Amen.
Favorite Hymn Victory in Jesus UMH 370
1. I heard an old, old story, how a Savior came from glory, how he gave his life on Calvary to save a wretch like me; I heard about his groaning, of his precious blood’s atoning, then I repented of my sins and won the victory. O victory in Jesus, my Savior forever! He sought me and bought me with his redeeming blood; he loved me ere I knew him, and all my love is due him; he plunged me to victory beneath the cleansing flood.
2. I heard about his healing, of his cleansing power revealing, how he made the lame to walk again and caused the blind to see; and then I cried, “Dear Jesus, come and heal my broken spirit,” and somehow Jesus came and brought to me the victory. O victory in Jesus, my Savior forever! He sought me and bought me with his redeeming blood; he loved me ere I knew him, and all my love is due him; he plunged me to victory beneath the cleansing flood.
3. I heard about a mansion he has built for me in glory, and I heard about the streets of gold beyond the crystal sea; about the angels singing and the old redemption story, and some sweet day I’ll sing up there the song of victory. O victory in Jesus, my Savior forever! He sought me and bought me with his redeeming blood; he loved me ere I knew him, and all my love is due him; he plunged me to victory beneath the cleansing flood.
First Reading – Psalm 37:1-11 Sandy Stump (R)
1Do not fret because of the wicked; do not be envious of wrongdoers, 2for they will soon fade like the grass, and wither like the green herb. 3Trust in the LORD and do good; so you will live in the land and enjoy security. 4Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart. 5Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him, and he will act. 6He will make your vindication shine like the light, and the justice of your cause like the noonday. 7Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him; do not fret over those who prosper in their way, over those who carry out evil devices. 8Refrain from anger and forsake wrath. Do not fret—it leads only to evil. 9For the wicked shall be cut off, but those who wait for the Lord shall inherit the land. 10Yet a little while, and the wicked will be no more; though you look diligently for their place, they will not be there. 11But the meek shall inherit the land and delight themselves in abundant prosperity.
Tithes & Offerings – Can be sent to 329 N. 5th Street; Reading, PA 19601 Or online HERE
Chancel Choir Offertory: Blessed Shall They Be, Natalie Sleeth
O blessed, blessed shall they be who serve our God most faithfully;
Who know and do the Lord’s command and take the truth to every land.
For they shall be joyful wherever they go; the fruits of the Spirit within will they know;
Upon them, abundance the Lord will bestow, and through them the glory will shine.
O blessed, blessed all their days are those who join in grateful praise,
And serve the Lord who reigns above to light the world with heav’nly love. (sung 2X)
Blessed, blessed, all who serve the Lord above
Blessed, blessed who light the world with heav’nly love.
Offertory Prayer WSL 107
We present these gifts, O God, in the confidence that healing, jope, and wholeness will flourish through them and because of them. Amen
Prayers of the People Send Prayer requests to Office@holycrossumc.com
The Lord’s Prayer
Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come; thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever. Amen.
Hymn Jesu, Jesu UMH 432 v.1, 2, & 3
1. Jesu, Jesu, fill us with your love, show us how to serve the neighbors we have from you. Kneels at the feet of his friends, silently washes their feet, Master who acts as a slave to them.
2. Jesu, Jesu, fill us with your love, show us how to serve the neighbors we have from you. Neighbors are rich and poor, neighbors are black and white, neighbors are near and far away.
3. Jesu, Jesu, fill us with your love, show us how to serve the neighbors we have from you. These are the ones we should serve, these are the ones we should love; all these are neighbors to us and you.
Second Reading – Luke 6:27-38
27“But I say to you that listen, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you. 29If anyone strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also; and from anyone who takes away your coat do not withhold even your shirt. 30Give to everyone who begs from you; and if anyone takes away your goods, do not ask for them again. 31Do to others as you would have them do to you. 32“If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. 33If you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. 34If you lend to those from whom you hope to receive, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, to receive as much again. 35But love your enemies, do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return. Your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High; for he is kind to the ungrateful and the wicked. 36Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful. 37“Do not judge, and you will not be judged; do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven; 38give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap; for the measure you give will be the measure you get back.”
Message Rev. Mandy Miller
Hymn Freely, Freely UMH 389
1. God forgave my sin in Jesus’ name, I’ve been born again in Jesus’ name, and in Jesus’ name I come to you, to share his love as he told me to. He said, “Freely, freely you have received, freely, freely give. Go in my name, and because you believe, others will know that I live.”
2. All power is given in Jesus’ name, in earth and heaven in Jesus’ name, and in Jesus’ name I come to you, to share his power as he told me to. He said, “Freely, freely you have received, freely, freely give. Go in my name, and because you believe, others will know that I live.”
Organ Postlude: Now With Singing and Praise, setting by Dale Wood (Based on the tune Middlebury, Southern Harmony, 1835)
Hymns and Prayers used under CCLS# 2049575 / Hymns and Prayers for Streaming CCSL #20468685/ Bible readings from New Revised Standard Version.